Welcome to Shaker Youth Hockey
|SYHA Calendar for 2012-2013
PW/Bantam Tryouts: May 29 - June 5
Tryouts for 2013-14
The Shaker Youth Hockey Association (SYHA) will be holding tryouts for Pee Wee and Bantam levels for the 2013-14 season. The tryouts will be held at Thornton Park in Shaker Heights.
There will be three (3) tryout sessions at a cost of $45 per player for returning Shaker players and $70 per player for new players. The $25 additional cost for tryouts to new players will be credited toward your SYHA Fee. We reserve the right to schedule additional tryout sessions if necessary.
Checklist needed to tryout (click on the link to download):
- Completed registration, waiver and non-refundable tryout payment
- USA Hockey Registration (you cannot get on the ice without this)
- Please bring light (White) and dark (Black) jerseys to each tryout session.
- $105 SYHA Fee (fka Pre-Registration) is due by June 14th to secure your spot on a team
We plan on having 2 Bantam teams and 3 or 4 Peewee teams. Please arrive at least 45 minutes before your first tryout.
Tryout Dates and Times
Pee Wee (2001 and 2002)
Parents Meeting in Lobby Wednesday, May 29th at 8:45pm
Wednesday, May 29th 7:45-8:45pm (Last Name A-L)
Wednesday, May 29th 8:45-9:45pm (Last Name M-Z)
Sunday, June 2nd 9:00-10:00am (Group 2)
Sunday June 2nd 10:15-11:15am (Group 1)
Monday, June 3rd 7:30-8:30pm (Group 2)
Monday, June 3rd 8:45-9:45pm (Group 1)
Bantam (1999 and 2000)
Parents Meeting in Lobby Sunday, June 2nd at 11:30am
Sunday, June 2nd 11:30am-1:00pm
Tuesday, June 4th 7:00-8:30pm
Wednesday, June 5th 7:45-9:00pm
* Our goal is to have teams selected and players notified by Friday June 7th
* $105 SYHA Fee (fka Pre-Registration) is due by June 14th to reserve your spot on a team.
* Full Season Fee and Payment Schedules TBA
* Any questions please contact: Caleb Wyse firstname.lastname@example.org or Richard Mears email@example.com
* Squirt and Mite Tryouts for Shaker will be held in August
Coaches Brandt Butze and Rich Mears will be running warmup skates in May for PeeWees and Bantams. These will focus on skating and skills. It is a great way to continue your Spring Hockey growth or get back in shape for Tryouts. Each session is drop-in and costs $10.
Monday May 6 7:30-8:30pm
Wednesday May 8 7:45-8:45pm
Monday May 20 7:30-8:30pm
Wednesday May 22 7:45-8:45pm
From Rich Mears: As most of you have seen by now, the Shaker Youth Hockey Association has donated 2 Video Boards to the City of Shaker Heights and Thornton Park. I would like to thank current and former board members, Caleb Wyse and the City of Shaker Heights for all the hard effort that was put into get this accomplished.
These boards were paid for by generous donations from SHYA families and other friends of the program, including local businesses and extended families of our players. No City Funds were used to pay for the boards. Shaker has the best youth hockey program in Cleveland and a strong community and a great fund raising spirit are some of the main reasons for it. Our fund raisers include - the Skate-a-thon, the Killer B tournament and the annual Golf Outing. These donations along with the Pre-Registration fee ($105) allow the program to pay for tournaments, training tools (including OHA subsidy), goalie equipment and extra ice at Gilmour and Cleveland Heights.
The boards will be a great addition to the program, but come with some additional responsibilities. Please contact me if you can help in any of the following areas.
1) Graphic Design Skills - we need some creative parents to help with the design of the boards.
2) Advertising - we don't know how much to charge or who to contact, but we believe that the boards could draw some additional funds for the program
3) Content - please let use know if you would be interested in working on the upkeep of the boards. The schedule needs to be updated weekly and we can put additional Shaker Hockey pictures and videos up as available.
Once again thanks for your support of Shaker Hockey.
Rich Mears, President SYHA
New - Guenther's Sporting Goods (aka Logos on Lee) is now Time Out Sports. Same location and phone (216-371-5734) but with new ownership. Time Out Sports is open 10- 6 (M-F) and 10 - 4 (Sat).
SYHA Email/Google Groups - If you wish to add an email to our Google group to receive regular SYHA news and updates, please enter your email address below and click subscribe.
Please continue to support Thornton's concession operator "32 Degrees." It is opened for business with full service menu during games and practices.
Created by: SYHA Webmaster -- Last updated:May 05, 2013