Welcome to the 2013 Outdoor Soccer Season
SASA assigns Referees and 2 Assistant Referees in the U-14, U-16, U-18 youth home games. One referee for U-10 and U-12 league games.
Margaret Sturgess in the SASA office assigns the referees for tournaments and youth league games.
The Community league season will run from April 30 to June 29th.
- Impact U-12 to U-18 and seniors go until the end of August.
- In the St. Albert leagues, boys play on Mondays and Wednesday, and girls play on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Impact and Community teams playing in the EMSA and/or EIYSA league will play on various days throughout the week as scheduled by EMSA and/or EIYSA.
SASA will be hosting two tournament this year, and will need referees during the following weekends:
May 17-20, 2013 - Girls and Boys TI/TII/TIII Victoria Day Classic Tournament
June 21-23, 2013 - Tournament of Champions (House League Finals)
During heavy or prolonged rain, play is not allowed on the fields. In St. Albert you can call the "Facility Info Line" at 459-1568 for field closures. For games at Riel, call the clubhouse directly at 458-8973. The city info line is updated daily (Monday to Friday) during the sport field season at 4:00 p.m. (Riel fields closed for 2013 Outdoor Season) If conditions are too wet/dangerous and the city has indicated the fields are closed, you are not responsible for showing up at the game, and you will not be paid for it.
In some cases heavy rain or lightening can occur after 4:00 p.m. In this case only the referee can cancel the game, therefore both teams have to be present at the game and await the referee's decision. If it is lightning that is the concern - we would expect everyone to take cover in the safety of vehicles until it passes (generally 15 - 20 minutes). If the fields are deemed unsafe due to heavy rain you may decide to cancel the game and you will be paid for it.
Rained out games will have new referee assignments. You will not be obligated to cover a cancelled game's rescheduled time.
You will be scheduled according to the dates that you indicate you are available by email or via the calendar you provide when asked.
If You Cannot Make it to Your Assigned Game
- If you are unable to fulfill an assignment, you are responsible for finding a replacement for yourself and notifying SASA as to the change.
- A list of all the other referees registered in St. Albert. is available through Margaret Sturgess in the SASA office.
- Your replacement must be your age or older, and must have attained the same level of refereeing (or higher) as yourself.
- If you are unable to find a replacement, weekdays please call the clubhouse before noon on game day at 780-458-8973 Ext 123 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The office is not open on weekends so it is most important you notify us by noon on Friday if it is a weekend game.
- You will need to provide the names of the referees you have already contacted.
What to Wear
Referees and Assistant Referees are expected to dress appropriately at all games. Referee Jerseys must be worn over coats/sweaters (not under). Black shorts and socks are required. Community League referees may wear black track pants in cold weather if desired.
How Much You Get Paid - Outdoor 2013
Community League Games:
U10 7v7 - Middles: $20
U10 7v7 Development Middles: $25
U12 8v8 - Middles: $25
U14 11v11 - Middles $30 A/R $25. If both A/R's missing and Middle referee is left alone $42.50
EMSA Community U16 11v11 - Middles $35 A/R $25. If both A/R's missing and Middle referee is left alone $55
EMSA Community U18 11v11 - Middles $35 A/R $25. If both A/R/s missing and Middle referee is left alone $55
EMSA Impact and City Wide League Games:
U12 - 8v8 - Middles $40
U14, U16, U18 - Middles $40 AR $30 If both AR's missing and Middle referee is left alone $55
EIYSA Impact League Games:
U12 - EIYSA assigns and pays middles. There are no A/R's for this age group.
U14, U16, U18 - EIYSA assigns and pays middles. SASA assigns A/R's $35
Men's League Games:
Middles $50 A/R $35 If both AR's missing and Middle is left alone $67.50
Women's League Games:
Outdoor Tournament Rates:
U10 7v7 - Middles $27
U12 8v8 - Middles $42
U14, U16, U18 - Middles $42 AR $36
How You Get Paid
Referees are paid once a month. Payment will include the last day of the month cheques will be ready 5 business days after the end of the month. Cheques must be picked up at the office during regular office hours.
SASA Calculates pay based on assignments:
Cheques are ready for pick up no later than:
- You will be paid based on SASA's record of assignments. This means referees cannot switch shifts/games without notifying Margaret in writing so our records are adjusted and proper payment goes out. Margaret's email is email@example.com
- Rain out games - you will not be paid for these if the fields have been officially closed.
What do you do if you give out a Red Card?
For course details & to register for courses www.refcenter.com
or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
April 11 and 12: U12 Referee Course 6-9 pm both days. SASA 61 Riel Dr.
April 13 and 14: Class 3, Class 4 Course 9-5 both days. SASA 61 Riel Dr.
April 16: Referee Refresher Course 6-9 pm Sharpen up your skills for the summer with this hands on course.
Course fees for Class 3, Class 4 135.00. You may request a refund from SASA for this course, after you have refereed 10 games for SASA.
Riel Turf (RP Turf): City of St. Albert controls this field (only closes if there is lightning)
What if You Have a Problem?
If you have a serious problem with a coach, player or spectator, it is important that you make note of the situation as soon as you are able to. Put your concerns down in writing, with as much detail as possible, and bring it to the SASA Club House at your earliest opportunity or email it to email@example.com SASA will then be better able to deal with the issue, and get it resolved quickly. SASA will not tolerate abusive behavior towards referees.
BONUS $ PLAN:
For all referees: CASH DRAW PRIZE
If you show up for 100% of your LEAGUE GAME assignments (or provide minimum 7 days notice to trade or cancel) you will be entered for a $100 CASH DRAW PRIZE. Winner's name will be drawn at the Referee year end party.
Youth League and Tournaments Referee Assignor
SASA Club House
61 Riel Drive
St. Albert, AB T8N 3Z3
Phone 780-458-8973 ext 123
Alberta Soccer Association
Referee Registration - to renew license
Contact Referee Coordinator
203, 9440 - 49 St.
Edmonton, AB T6B 2M9
Rain Out Line
City of St. Albert (updated at 4pm) 780-459-1568
Riel Soccer Fields (updated at 4pm) 780-458-8973 Ext 1(no games on Riel Soccer Fields for Outdoor 2013)
Edmonton City Fields 780-496-4999
Created by: Programs Assistant -- Last updated:May 14, 2013